The Learning Program™ is designed to supplement traditional education. Despite efforts of some wonderful teachers, traditional education too often fails children with Down syndrome due to poor educational placement, lack of trained assistants and outdated stereotypes. Through this program, we hope to strengthen the educational potential for children with Down syndrome, regardless of their formal educational setting.
Developed by Dana Halle, founder of Down Syndrome Foundation of Orange County (www.dsfoc.org), the program focuses on parents as first-teachers for their children, bringing the fruits of research into practice. Knowledgeable parents can work more effectively with their children and give them a jump-start on education. Moreover, the program arms parents to serve as capable advocates for their children in the educational process by attending monthly instructional sessions on topics such as:
• Teaching Your Child To Read
• Introduction To Math
• Creating An Effective Learning Session
Children attend simultaneous monthly sessions, which focus on skill development for literacy, math, language, and fine motor skills. Aligned with their child’s session curriculum, parents receive materials to continue working with their children at home or at school.
Here is what some of our families are saying about their child’s experience in the Learning Program™,
· “My child is even more aware of aspects of learning. She is eager to learn. Just needs to find the right pace and interest. The LP gave her the opportunity to learn in an environment that was invested in her success.”
· “My daughter’s aide commented that she was putting longer sentences together. I really enjoyed the materials provided. It has really helped my daughter learn a lot more words and it also helped me know how to make my own materials when we need to.”
· “The program is a very focused approach to learning for our children. It can only enhance what is offered in our school systems or in many cases, exceed what is provided.”
We hope you will be able to join us for this exciting and innovative program! We look forward to seeing you soon! To find out more, click on any of the links below: